Our ebook, Firm Operations: Office Productivity Projects, provides instructions for 9 projects firms can complete before tax season. Varying in complexity from a few hours to a few weeks, the projects span areas including managing client and firm data, improving client service, and preparing staff to succeed. The project below, “Set Up Project Pools ” is a sample project from the ebook.
Project pools help staff be more independent. Being able to choose what to work on next without having to ask a manager is more efficient and gives staff more autonomy.
Stakeholders: Firm administrator, managers
Supplies: A good understanding of the types of projects that your firm handles
Frequency: Yearly or semi-annually
- Firstly, decide which types of project pools to set up. A basic project pool is based on project status, for example “Information in-Unassigned” or “Ready for Review.” You can also create pools based on template, office, complexity or priority.
- Divide your firm’s projects based on the criteria you defined. For digital workflow software, this is done in the configuration area of your software. A more traditional approach is to designate a filing cabinet drawer for each type of pool.
- Decide which staff can work in each pool. You can limit staff access so your most seasoned staff can handle more complex returns, and temporary staff can work on the most basic ones.
- Review your project pools before busy season to ensure they still align with your firm’s needs. Then make any necessary changes based on current staffing and workload situations.
- Knowledge Base Article: How do I use project pools in CCH Axcess
- Blog post: Must-have workflow features
Setting up project pools is only one project of many included in the Firm Operations: Office Productivity Projects ebook. Don’t miss the rest of the book. Fill out the form below to request your free copy today.