Our ebook, Firm Operations: Office Productivity Projects, provides instructions for 9 projects firms can complete before tax season. Varying in complexity from a few hours to a few weeks, the projects span areas including managing client and firm data, improving client service, and preparing staff to succeed. The project below, “Start a Client Newsletter or Mailing List ” is a sample project from the ebook.
Marketing can be an intimidating proposition for accounting firms. But firms that make an effort to create thought leadership and share useful information with clients are seeing a payoff.
Stakeholders: Firm Administrator, Marketing or Business Development staff
Supplies: Up-to-date client contact information, marketing lists, marketing content
- Assuming your client data is up-to-date, your first step is to create separate marketing lists for different initiatives. One list should be for potential new clients you’ve never worked
with before. Another list could be tax-only clients who you think would benefit from additional services. You might also consider creating lists based on industry or entity type.
- Think about your content. If you don’t have time to write content yourself, you can contract with a professional writer or content service.
- Make sure your content includes a call to action. Let the client know what their next step should be.
- Identify the right medium. Email marketing is particularly cost effective. However, many clients or potential clients may already be overwhelmed by overflowing email inboxes. A paper mailer or postcard may cost more, but could provide better return on investment in the long run.
- Don’t’ be afraid to try different approaches. Test different subject lines or calls to action to see which ones seem to generate the most interest. Your results will vary depending on the unique characteristics of your audience and your message.
- Knowledge Base Article: How do I create mailing lists in CCH Axcess Practice
- Blog post: Business development strategies for accounting firms
- Blog post: Email marketing in accounting firms
Creating a client newsletter is only one project of many included in the Firm Operations: Office Productivity Projects ebook. Don’t miss the rest of the book. Fill out the form below to request your free copy today.