Our ebook, Firm Operations: Office Productivity Projects, provides instructions for 9 projects firms can complete before tax season. Varying in complexity from a few hours to a few weeks, the projects span areas including managing client and firm data, improving client service, and preparing staff to succeed. The project below, “Update Client Information in your Client Database ” is a sample project from the ebook.
You can’t deliver great client service if you don’t maintain accurate client data. This is easier if you have a centralized client database, but it still requires a commitment to keeping the lines of communication with your clients open.
Stakeholders: Firm Administrators, Client Service Staff
Supplies: Client database, telephone, email
Frequency: Once a year
- Determine if you should mark any of the clients in your client database as inactive. For example, by running a Client Profile Report, you can view clients by “last bill date” or “last payment date” and decide which clients are no longer active. Marking clients as inactive maintains the client data for historical reporting purposes while simplifying your client list everywhere else.
- Prior to sending out organizers each year, reach out to clients to update contact and other information. Clients may have moved, business situations may have changed, or other major life events may be affecting your clients’ needs. In fact, proactively reaching out to clients will not just ensure you have up-to-date contact information. It could, in addition, uncover additional business opportunities as well.
- Capture client communication preferences. Some clients prefer electronic communication, via email or portal. Others prefer a good old fashioned phone call or lunch meeting. If possible, capture this information in your client database. And if you’ll be delivering information in hard copies, make sure you’re stocked up on supplies like letterhead, folders and envelopes.
- Blog Post: Three types of client communication strategies
- Online Help: CCH Axcess Client Profile Report
Since “Updating Client Information” is just one of the many projects outlined in the Firm Operations: Office Productivity Projects ebook, don’t miss the rest of the book. Fill out the form below to request your free copy today.