The IRS extended filing and payment deadlines for California taxpayers affected by wildfires. Thus, taxpayers in Shasta County may qualify for tax relief.
Extended Filing and Payment Deadlines
Individuals and businesses have until November 30, 2018, to file returns and pay any taxes that were originally due on or after July 23, 2017. This includes:
- estimated tax payments due on September 17, 2018;
- payroll and excise tax returns due on July 31, 2018, and October 31, 2018.
Individuals with filing extensions for 2017 now have until November 30, 2018, to file their returns. However, the payment extension does not apply to related tax payments that were originally due on April 18, 2018.
Calendar-year businesses with filing extensions also have additional time to file returns, including:
- partnerships whose 2017 extensions run out on September 15, 2018; and
- tax-exempt organizations whose 2017 extensions run out on November 15, 2018.
Waiver of Late Deposit Penalties
The IRS will also waive late-deposit penalties for federal payroll and excise tax deposits that are normally due during the first 15 days of the disaster period. Taxpayers can find information about these extended due dates at (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-relief-for-victims-of-wildfires-and-high-winds-in-north-california).
Automatic Extensions in Disaster Areas
The extended filing and payment deadlines are automatic for any taxpayer with an IRS address of record in the disaster area. Thus, these taxpayers do not have to contact the IRS to qualify for the extended deadlines.
However, an affected taxpayer who receives a late filing or late payment notice should contact the IRS at 866-562-5227.
Taxpayers Outside Disaster Area
Finally, the IRS will work with other taxpayers who are affected by the disaster even if they live or work outside the disaster area. Taxpayers should contact the IRS if they:
- have tax or business records in the affected area; or
- are assisting relief activities and are affiliated with a recognized government or philanthropic organization.
California Disaster Relief Notice (CA-2018-11)