Texas offers a tax holiday for water-saving and energy-saving products on May 26 through 28, 2018.
The holiday for water-saving products differs depending on the product.
Products with a WaterSense label or logo are tax-free for when the purchase is for either:
- personal use; or
- business use.
Other Water-Conserving Products
Shoppers can also buy other water-conserving products tax-free during the holiday. Unlike WaterSense products, however, other products are exempt only when bought for use at a residential property.
The exemptions applies to products used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation.
More information is available at https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-1018.php.
Shoppers can buy, rent, or lease the many products tax-free if the products have an Energy Star label:
- air conditioners with a sales price of $6,000 or less;
- refrigerators with a sales price of $2,000 or less;
- ceiling fans;
- incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs
- clothes washers;
- dehumidifiers; and
- programmable thermostats.
More information is available at https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/96-1331.php.
News Release, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, May 2018