Virginia’s 2017 Tax Amnesty program ends at midnight on Tuesday, November 14, 2017. At the end of the amnesty period, the state will assess an additional 20% penalty on any remaining amnesty-qualified liabilities.
Who is eligible?
- Most individuals, corporations, estates, trusts, and partnerships can take care of Virginia tax debt by paying just the taxes they owe and half the interest (no penalties).
- If taxpayers can’t pay all the taxes they owe, they can still participate in the amnesty program by paying on a bill-by-bill basis.
- If taxpayers didn’t get a bill from Virginia Tax and owe back taxes, they may still be eligible for tax amnesty. They can call 1.877.PAY.VTAX (1.877.729.8829) for assistance.
How do I file and pay?
- Taxpayers can make payments online, by phone, and by mail.
- Taxpayers can file returns online and by mail.
For information, call 1.877.PAY.VTAX (1.877.729.8829) 8:30 am to 8 pm, now through November 13; 8:30 am to midnight on November 14, the final day of amnesty. Although November 10 is a state holiday, amnesty phone lines will be open.
For additional information, see the 2017 Tax Amnesty website at https://www.tax.virginia.gov/2017-virginia-tax-amnesty
Virginia Tax Press Release, November 9, 2017